Thursday, December 24, 2009

WHAT A DAY!

Last night, I couldn’t think of what to do today. So I just went to sleep and set my alarm. This morning, I still couldn’t think of what to do. I headed off to Montmartre, remembering that I *had* thought of a reason to go there, but not what the reason itself was, and a little bit worried that the day would turn out lame. I got off the metro, walked up some stairs, looked at the city, and remembered: the fabric district!! I’m sure there are other places in Paris to get fabric, but this area has lots of stores. Cam’s sister that I stayed with (who studied design and sewing) had mentioned it to me. I wandered around up at the top, since I was already up there anyway, and then took the lazy-ppl thing down.

I went into one four-story fabric store. Not a JoAnns with loads of crafts, just fabric and findings and patterns. And not a small floor each, or all spaced out, either, rolls lying in piles 2-3 deep on tables all over this place. So many different kinds! And so expensive! I think the cheapest thing I saw was 3E a meter, and that was lining. Real fabric started at 6E a meter, and went up to over a hundred (you know, silk, really fancy stuff.) In that neighborhood, I found V’s present to me. Perhaps the best present she’s given me. Certainly the most unique. And will be the best souvenir from Paris I have EVER had, and maybe even could imagine. I was terribly thrilled by it, to be honest, and it took me a while to find just the right one. At the time I thought maybe I’d get two, but then I wanted to check in other stores (that weren’t as easy to look in) and ended up with just the one. So that leaves me a second present for her to get me. Un coupon! Yeah, that’s what I thought too, when I saw the first sign, what the heck is that??? And I kept walking. Then the next one made it obvious. Les coupons - 3M a 5E. OH! The basket below contained fabric. Very large remnants - the ends of the roll (usually 3 meters, sometimes a little less) that was either discontinued or they didn’t need or didn’t think people would buy. My first thought: that’s more than enough to make a pair of pjs! I need! I went into the store and there were allll kinds. Suitings, silks, fleece, cotton, knits… the list goes on. I narrowed myself down to either a cotton or a knit. The lace was gorgeous, but was still 15E a meter. The beaded and sequined shimmery, translucent fabrics were AMAZING but still 20-25 a meter. The silks ranged from 50-75 for 3 meters, some that I didn’t see may have been more. Wow, this is getting long. In the end, I went for 3 meters a knit that will make terribly cute long shorts/short pants. I will send V a pic when I can, but no one else gets to see til I finish my bottoms. And maybe a top, too.

After an hour or two, I continued on to another festive area: Notre Dame. Also the cheapest place I’ve found to buy ppl stuff. Mostly postcards, really, I’ve gotten stuff from Paris for tons of ppl I know, so I’d rather find something more unique in Lille. There was one person that something just jumped out at me, and I got it, but I’ll probably get something else as well. After that, I wanted to have a little coffee and write a card or two. I was scared, though, because yesterday I had an AWFUL coffee. Like, tastes bout as good as the stuff at my co-op. I realize that no one reading this drinks that, but it’s gross. Fits the stereotype of bad American coffee. The place had this “fancy” new machine, and after watching the servers I realized why it was bad - they just put a cup under, press one button, and ANY kind of drink pours out. Espresso, capuccino, hot chocolate… I think being so close to a busy tourist area let them get laze. I wandered, looking for a better café, and each time I just didn’t think so. In the latin quarter (where the Sorbonne is - latin b/c that’s what universities used to teach in) I found something else that caught my attention: Patisseries tunisienne du sud. Well, I just HAD to get something there! I walked in and said hi (in French, after I left I kicked myself for not saying it in tounsi!) and looked around, they asked if I knew what I wanted, I said I was looking b/c it reminded me of when I lived there, talked a tiny bit. I asked for two things and the guy got them, and then I saw a small sign: 1E for coffee. Anywhere else in the area, it’d easily be 2-3. A quick glance at their sturdy, old machine told me it would be worth it. He asked if I wanted it there or to go, and I said there. In true Tunisian fashion, it was served in an over-sized shot glass, standing at a small counter. And it was good. Better than one of the places by Amideast, and probably about as good as the other. I finished, paid, said thanks (in French and Tounsi) and continued happily on my way. That was better than writing postcards.

Plus I found a bench on the Champs Elysees (google it) and wrote there instead. I ended up at the Champs Elysees to have more festive atmosphere. I wandered in and out of stores. Including some that I had NO intention of even thinking of buying anything in. There’s one that I absolutely love that’s full of party clothes, or at least dressed-up day clothes. And some HOT dresses. Not all slinky, not all revealing, but with just the right touches here and there. I wish I had a reason to need a dress like that. They had up a couple of ads with shots of women in the fabulous dresses that said more or less, like giving a toast, “to making other women jealous.” Yes, I like that. Last night I was there at the other end for the Christmas Market, and all the trees were lit up. They weren’t lit up when I arrived today, so I made sure to stay til it started to get dark. Still not lit. Decided to stay til 5. And I won! They turned on right at 5! And I went out and took a pic straight down the street from the middle of the road (with the walk light, don’t worry!)

When I got back, I was feeling all flushed, but I thought it was from being in and out of the cold so much. After 30 min with my jacket off, I got concerned that it wasn’t. What would my helpful people tell me? More water, take some medicine, get good food in you. The pharmacy across the street (can’t get meds in grocery store) had my favorite Tunisia headache/fever medicine, and the kind with Vitamin C. Tastes much better than the plain kind, and made me start feeling better quickly. (you drink it, it hits your blood faster that way.) I also got bread, stocking fruit (and orange and a pear - the best apples here are from home, but the pears are from France, why not eat local-ish?), and water from the grocery store. I still had enough from the other night to make a decent dinenr (kept stuff cold by putting it on the outside windowsill - it was only up to 6 C today!) Taking it easy the rest of tonight. We’ll see how I feel in the morning, and that will decide if I go anywhere before checking out and heading for the train station. Back to Lille - will be staying at a house with 4 people around my age. YAY!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi WIl! Joyeux Noel! We Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry- is there not people there with you? i'm glad you're having fun on Christmas! and you can buy me one of those dresses, i'll find a place to wear one. how much? and i still want pictures and this comment poster thing is still dumb. but i did really like your descriptions (your last post?) not clinical at all (and i'm not sure thats the word i used). and when DeMott and Christopher and I go to France you're going to be our tour guide. just fyi. tour guide/babysitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There goes MY bid to get to go as nanny!
    Sounds like the fabric store would have put V under...not just left her drooling ;-}
    ! ! ! Merry Christmas Wil ! ! !
    Check out Jon's Facebook for an account of the Christmas Eve adventure he afforded Brent and I
    (Think that one Mother's Day - but shorter)
    I love you and wish you every happiness today and always, tu madre xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete