Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Free audiobooks!

K, I am downloading some for my trip, and so now I am sharing with 'y'all.' (Haha, I still can't do that.) How are these free, you ask? Is it legal? Why, yes! It's this really great idea, and you can find out all about it at their site: http://librivox.org/

Basically, regular people, like you and me, record parts of their favorite books that are in the public domain (ie no longer under copyright) and then someone from the site compiles the chapters/sections and makes them available! It does mean that they are not professional quality, but that's ok with me.

Right now I'm downloading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass. There are actually 3 versions of each because so many people have read for it. Some are abridged, others are not. On my connection, downloading a zip file of the whole thing takes about 3 minutes. Not too bad, really. Ok, I need to turn in some library books, go to the store, have lunch with a friend, pack, and leave in about 29 hours!

3 comments:

  1. Hey so I was gonna tell you the other day in reply to your FAQs you have me for christmas so me asking you to bring me chocolate from France is legitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, yes, i realize, and i fully intend to bring you some. well, i did intend to. now that you've taken away any element of surprise left... i dunno...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught that girl better than I knew... if you guess, it is no longer a surprise and therefore any obligation on my part is dissolved...
    xoxoxox
    problem IS I have to live with her so PLEASE reconsider ;-Þ please...

    ReplyDelete