Monday, December 21, 2009

Moving and Christmas party

First, I apologize for the lack of pictures, I haven't had much time around internet. So… what am I up to now? Right now I am actually sitting in the living room, somewhat surrounded by boxes and trying to help where I can and stay out of the way otherwise. The Move is tomorrow, so there are loads of things to be finished. I could have stayed at the house where I’ve been sleeping, but it’s in a TINY town, so I would have been alone alllllllll day. And no cafes or stores or anything to go visit for a break. It sounded a little miserable, really. There’s no internet here anymore, too, so I’ll post this once I get back to the sleeping house.

I’ve used the time to read some for my thesis. I have been reading stuff about code-switching (I probably didn’t explain that any time before - it means a way that bi/+linguals use more than one language in the same conversation or even sentence. More or less.) I think it’s interesting, I’ve been looking at stuff on French and Arabic, in Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. But I won’t bore you all with the details. I’m supposed to read a good bit before classes start (shortly after I get back) so that I’ll have some real direction by then.

Yesterday I went to a family Christmas party. With quite a bit of family. The grand parents have 8(?) kids, all with their own kids and families, several of whom brought friends/significant others as well. Lots of noise, lots of people, lots of food. As with any family, especially a big one, things didn’t always go smoothly or quickly, but I enjoyed myself. I got lots of “hello”s and lots of “tu comprends?” (you understand?) but it wasn’t overwhelming. Enough younger people around to talk to, too, so no reason to get bored. And there were plenty of younger cousins to try to understand (like 8-15 yr olds). For some reason it’s just funny to hear little kids speak another language. I know it’s sort of silly, but it makes me smile anyway.

Then tomorrow……… I’m going to Paris! Yay!!! I’ll be there for a few days, do a few things I haven’t done, and probably some I have, and then come back to Lille on Christmas and stay in a house of people around my age. It should be lots of fun. I’m not sure of the next time I’ll have internet for sure, so be patient with me here, people. I promise to update when I have a real chance. Just in case: Have a wonderful Christmas! Joyeux Noel!

2 comments:

  1. I am the most patient!!! It is just a funny coincidence that I was the first to see this post and your first one... other people beat me to the second post - Well! - they DID!
    Sounds like you are busy and happy. Have a wonderful week cutie, I love you!!!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that switching stuff would be like Mina Lee/Kim who lived near dad switching back and forth between English and I think it was Vietnamese.

    ReplyDelete