Thursday, December 10, 2009

What are my classes about?

Well, that sounds like a much more interesting question than actually finishing the work for my classes. I have two topics this semester: phonology and syntax. (Three classes, two in syntax)

Phonology: The study of the sounds of languages. I'm still not entirely sure I get it, please don't ask any more about it.

Syntax: Basically, grammar. Not like "it's wrong to ever split an infinitive," but more like describing how native speakers actually talk and being able to identify the patterns, including between languages. Lots of drawing of syntactic trees. They can look something like this, if you're interested. They get much more complicated, but one with movement didn't pop up quickly and I shouldn't spend all day at this.

Next semester I'll have sociolinguistics (the social aspects of language, like why we talk in different ways at different times or in different parts of the country) and experimental research and design, which will have lots of statistics, I hear.

Ok, fine, back to Phonology again...

2 comments:

  1. Phonology: the science of finding needles for those old phonographs!
    I am SO beyond tired today, sorry.
    Up at 0530 to drive JE to his little friend's house so He could surprise her with breakfast in bed... at least our house SMELLED good!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree is way confusing but since I am unsure what an infinitive is that isn't too surprising....

    Sociolinguistics sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete