Saturday, December 19, 2009

I knew it!

I spoiled you by writing too much on the plane and at the train station. See, there I was thinking that that would hold you over for a bit. But I should have known better. How can I be expected to update regularly when I first arrive in a new country, all jet-lagged, and am trying to be a good house guest and not just run away to type to people?? Sorry, you will have to learn some patience, mom.

I got a French number again, since I will be travelling a bit, it will be better to have a way to contact people if I ever need it. If any of you want it, email me, but I certainly don't expect you to.

So what's been going on? Friday I slept til 3PM. Yep, not sure how I did that. It was 8AM in Austin, and I would bet that's why I finally woke up. That's when I usually wake up at home. It is also COLD. Like the snow from Thursday is still sticking, and I am in a shirt with a wool sweater and my new wool coat over it, wearing a scarf, hat, and gloves. And I'm glad I decided to throw in a pair of my long-john pants.

I've been staying with Cam's older sister. (I was told that my alphabetic privacy system was quite lame, so I'll see if I can use SOME names, and if not, I'll use letters.) Cam's family is working on a loft that they are moving into next week, so everyone is very busy and stressed, and I am happy to be out of the way. Right now I am actually writing from McDonalds because they have free wifi. Well, if you buy sthg it's free. Yay, McDonalds! The food here is better than in the US, of course. I mean, if it were the same, nobody here would eat it. But I've decided to try their different coffee drinks. It's certainly still McDonalds-quality compared to regular French coffee, but since I have to buy something it'll make it more interesting.

I did a little bit of shopping. In addition to buying stamps and a sim card for my phone, I bought a tanktop (to add a layer underneath my clothes - I really should have thought of that while packing!) and...... Harry Potter et le Prince Sang-mele and Harry Potter et les Reliques de la Mort. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why buy them in French? Why NOT, I ask you?? Because it's down right COOL and I already have the first 5 in French. I'm sure I'll buy some originally-French stuff, too, but these make me smile. Well, I think that is all for now. Hope all is well at home!

6 comments:

  1. Fun! If I could still read German I'd certainly have HP in german! McD's in Fance is actually edible??? Weird. Let me know what I get you for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize for showing mom Taken.

    And I have no clue what those Harry Potter books are in English. I can tell Prince is in one and Death in the other but no clue on the rest of the title...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much would it cost to buy all seven in French. My sis is fluent and would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy - it would be at the very MOST $105 for all 7 in French, but it's really the shipping costs that would make it bad if you bought them here - even if I picked them up and sent them back then it would be like $50-60 in shipping fees. (Yuck!) I got the first 3 through borders or barnes & noble, so it might be worth checking there, or with a canadian store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ecstatic to read your post!!! And I was doing pretty well telling me that you were resting and being a good guest until JE woke me this morning to recount a nightmare he had in which he shot a bear in the backyard but actually killed me by accident AND the chickens all escaped and he couldn't find them... I think killing me was sadder to him but facing Le without her chickens was more terrifying... oh nightmares! Got me on a roll...and it was all downhill from there.
    Glad to hear that you have wifi and edible food in the same place ;-}
    Take care and I will wait patiently for your posts. Promise xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. where are teh pictures yo? and i don't like the comment set-up you've got going on here...

    ReplyDelete