Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Brat.

I taught someone a new word in English today: Brat. Because there was a kid being an absolutely rotten, horrible brat. I suppose we all have our moments.

Yesterday, I thought about going out. And then I realized it was raining. Raining, raining, raining, all day long. I don't melt in the rain, but at the same time, when one is walking without much of a goal, rain is not the best company. At least not when one has such a limited wardrobe on hand, as is my case here. So I did work. On my thesis. Aren't you proud?? Not too much, don't worry, because I was also playing with the 4 yr old. Later on, the dad and I went out for a beer, to show me a little bit of Lille night life, and it seems like he likes to get out of the house sometimes, too. The mom's sister was maybe going to come, but it turned out today that she fell asleep early instead. At first I didn't know what to say, I'm not very good with new people lots of times, unless they talk a lot. Then once I get comfortable, it's easy. But after a bit, we got talking and had a good time. When we got back to the house, we were talking about whether there were any current French authors worth reading, and so I got a few recommendations. In the form of two large piles of books to flip through, to see if I like the authors. You can't get stuff like that at a hotel.

Today it was nicer out. Me and Mr. 4 read for a while in the morning (yesterday, there was plenty of "sabres lasers" with him being Anakin, and me any random bad guy, so I was very happy to read.) It's interesting to see what's in kids' books different places. Turns out that, for that age, it's mostly the same. But at the same time, different. A boy is sent out by his mom to go shopping at the market. He goes around talking to all of the different merchants. You know, things that don't exist in the US now. I don't know how much they ever did. After lunch, I rectified a serious problem. Well, two, actually. Since arriving, I had not eaten a single crepe! C'est pas possible!! So while wandering in the city center, I got me a crepe au creme de marrons (chestnut creme, such a ridiculously good thing, you have no idea.) I also went into the bookstore a bit, to check out the cooking section. I haven't decided what all I'll bring back, but at least one dessert cookbook. I also got a long-sleeve tee to put under some short sleeve shirts that I brought thinking... well, not thinking, actually. But I can wear them now! I think I will wear one tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Yum!! I totally think you should bring back a book to cook me treats out of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds a lil innapropriate there wil- goin6g to a club with the dad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would have been more inappropriate if you had gone with the 4 yr old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chestnut cream, eh? Glad to hear about the long-sleeved tee, what color? Dessert cookbook sounds nice, Jon loves crepes, he is great at cream puffs (but not the pudding... always has lumps, I mean dumplings) his latest experient is toffee... we won't go there but Brown & Haley is safe!
    So DID you like any of the authors? You ARE fine with new people once you relax, I wonder if there is a message there??? I doubt you need your old mom to get you a book on relaxation techniques, huh? Didn't think so.
    love you, xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete