Friday, June 3, 2011

cool

This evening I wandered around the medina a bit with Malika. She got Amira's watch strap fixed (guy did it in 2 minutes and was less than a dollar - people are cool about easily making things usable for longer here) and then bought some chicken. Yep, you may have guessed - whole, live chicken. She didn't kill them, the guy did. But just easy as that, picked out 3, one at a time. She'd kind of point, the guy would grab one, twist its wings together so it wouldn't move, weigh it, tell her a price (I gotta get better with numbers!) and she agreed. Then, slit it's throat, put it upside down in the blood-drainer-thing. Then we walked a bit more to see where they're going to have a bunch of the concerts for the next week (google fez sacred music festival, it's maybe 10 min from my house on foot and I could hear it from the roof this afternoon), bought some soap and noodles, and went back to pick up the chickens. All nicely plucked now, of course. I wonder how long they last like that. At home, it's supposed to be 2-3 days after buying, but clearly these are a BIT fresher....

2 comments:

  1. Seems so brutal! Unlike here in America where we eat chicken out of freezer case knowing no animals were harmed for our dinner! =P Sorry had to say it. I always think it is funny when people who eat meat are shocked and horrified that I live somewhere where we raise our own meat cuz it is cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL At you and Nan. I would think they could last longer if they are properly refrigerated...

    ReplyDelete