Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sweating is good for you!

I was lucky that the first two weeks here the weather was cooler than normal. Last week it started to heat up. And now it is high 90s all week. Still cooler than Austin (105 the other day) and much dryer. But the big difference is that there is no AC in my house here. Which means lots of sweating. For the next 6 weeks. My host mom says it's good for you, and that AC is bad. Wake up sweaty. Walk to taxi. Windows down, but no AC. Get to school. AC in classroom (reasonable amount) but before and after class, again none. But all the trees and plants surrounding the school keep it shady and cooler. In the afternoon, I head over to the school's study center. It's in a big, old house that is built properly for the heat, so it's cooler. But still not actually cool. Less sweating, anyway.

I have been drinking loads of water (and trying to keep enough salt in me to not just lose it all immediately) so I can tolerate it. I am actually starting to get used to it, which I find pretty disgusting in itself if I stop and think about it. But what can you do? Accept it and move on. And hope you can actually fall asleep.

3 comments:

  1. EEEWWWWWW, sorry just had to get that out there... Do you shower twice a day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to fall asleep hot and sweaty. Sometimes splashing water on head, face, feet (before getting in bed) helps...you are still wet but not sticky!
    old people xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, guys, I said I'm getting used to it. Like my body has adjusted. I have actually not had trouble falling asleep or anything for the last few days. And, no, I have been showering a little less often than at home - once every 3 days, actually. But it seems to work out ok, so mashi mushkil! (no problem!)

    ReplyDelete