Saturday, June 11, 2011

Morning in the medina

This morning I walked around the medina with Karen and her host sister. Her host sister is 11 or 12, I think, and doesn't seem to mind wandering around with us, half showing us places and half just seeing with us. We speak mostly Arabic, but when I totally am lost Karen will use French with me. It's a nice way to get in some practice, unlike in class! Plus she speaks more slowly than native speakers, so I understand more. And we talk about immediate things that are easier to understand anyway.

Here is a picture of some plaster carving that I think looks really cool. The whole place is.... old. I just checked - apparently built in the 1350s. I don't know if this is that old, or if it's part of the restoration efforts, but the cedar in the building is apparently at least from the 1500s. CRAZY.

I am sooooo hungry, I am going home for tea! (at study center now.)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Been out of touch but headed home today ;-} And here I am, first time on the computer since Friday nite and I ck on my traveler first ;-Þ xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete