Saturday, January 16, 2010

Au revoir, la France!!

Well, a few of you asked, but I ignored the questions. But now that I am safely in the Paris airport, flight expected on time, headed home, I can tell you. What is the secret to my amazing vacation and finding people to stay with? Couchsurfing. It’s through an incredible website where you can find people all over the world who are willing to invite strangers into their homes for a night. Or six. Other than Cam’s sister, I had never met anyone I stayed with before. And I am leaving a group of people I will seriously miss, and who I got along with amazingly well. Never mind all of the things I did that I never would have been able to do without staying with locals.

For couch surfing, you fill out a profile, put up a pic, tell people a little about yourself. And then you can search people to stay with. And, of course, host other travelers when you are at your own place. Which I fully intend to do. It’s all free, no payments expected, and the site actually discourages them. It’s up to your host when you can be at the house, whether they feed you or not, what you have access to. But I stayed with such incredible people and had so many fantastic adventures, many of which I never had time to tell you about. If you go for karma, I must have done something pretty amazing. (Chloe sort of does karma.) If you prefer a supreme being, then s/he/it likes me. Personally, I’m just happy to have had a great trip. K, I am going to look for water before my flight boards.

5 comments:

  1. thats the safest thing i've ever heard you endorse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little sister is sooo funny. Well now I see why you didn't tell us sooner. And I thank you for it since I'm the one who would have been asked to look up the # for the police in France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the website & I found you! So now I can sign up and see if I can stay with you in TX sometime. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. finding water before your flight is a good thing... your sisters are way more freaked out about the surfing than yer old mom is - I just barely missed the hippie era and this sounds much safer than some of the stuff that went on THEN.
    Have a wonderful flight and I look forward to LOTS of pictures cutie ! ! !
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I knew the whole time!!! I'm so special! Do any of your new friends need a place to crash in Vegas?

    So were you full body scanned? Or given a mega pat down bordering on sexual harassment? Did you see bomb sniffing dogs? If not I'm going to report DeGalle as a terrorist threat!

    ReplyDelete