Friday, July 1, 2011

I wake up in the morning feeling incredibly sweaty

Yesterday some dark clouds rolled in and the wind kicked up a bit in the afternoon. A lot of places I have been, that means that it is going to rain and get cooler. Which seemed like a nice idea and we all started hoping for rain - as long as it started after we were in a taxi home because they seem to disappear the second that rain starts.

It didn't rain while we were at class, or later when we went to wander the medina to look at potential future purchases. It didn't get around to it til about 12:30 when I was finally going to bed. I don't know why I stayed up so late, but I planned to get up at 8:45 today, so no problem.

At 7:45, though, I woke up just nasty sweaty with sun in my face. I closed my curtain, but the darker curtain that blocks the sun, but still lets in a breeze, has been reappropriated to a window in the main room. I'm sure it needs it, too. It probably wouldn't have made a difference today anyway, it is just hot and pretty humid for once. I couldn't sleep anymore, but I remembered that I haven't updated all week, so here I am. It's supposed to be a little cooler this weekend, but if it stays this humid it won't be much of a relief, if any.

That's ok because I'm headed to the beach! It's supposed to be 91 tomorrow and 85 Sunday there. Doesn't that sound beautiful??? (It's supposed to be 100 and 94 here each day, which is actually cooler than it has been.) There's a city on the coast only 3 1/2 hours away that is the movie-typical mediterranean style (white walls, blue doors & trim.) It has about one paragraph on travel sites, which call it a break from the bigger cities and a 'sophisticated' introduction to Morocco, whatever that means. All I care is that it's got water to play in. And probably sand to sit in :) And I do have sunscreen, don't worry!

This week has been surprisingly packed with stuff to do. I've been hanging out with my roommate and a girl who grew up about 10 minutes from where I did, as well as a few others. Wandering the medina on your own isn't fun for me because you get too much attention in certain areas, and some people try to intimidate you. With several of us, we each get slightly fewer offers of 'help,' massages or aphrodisiacs (did you know that dates, olives and oil are among those? Just ask the guys here!) And if a shop-keeper tries to get you to buy stuff (we told them all we were just looking and most were ok with that) it's easier to just leave when you have company.

Tuesday night I went and bought some groceries (and wine and desserts!) with a couple of other grad student girls studying here and then we went back to the apt one of them has and made dinner. And ate it. It was wonderful. Really, it was just afriheims (taste like bell peppers, but shaped like big anaheim peppers) with rice, egg, spices, almonds 'in,' or on, them and some couscous. Plus the wonderful petit four things. We will probably do it again, but the boys will have to buy the wine and desserts if we are cooking. They were all properly appreciative of good food and even since then have been saying that they are for buying the expensive stuff if we cook. Yay for grateful people.

I'm very excited about my new clothes. Tuesday while shopping we saw that there is basically a used clothing market just up from where the food is, and one of the girls really wanted to go back. Wednesday she asked if I wanted to come and, having nothing better to do, I agreed. It was actually fun to look through all of the stuff. Some of it was obviously used or crap, but a lot of it was in really good condition. I got 2 skirts, 1 dress, 1 shirt. The shirt is 100% linen, white, and fits me very well for something to wear over a tank (gaps at chest when buttoned.) It was 10MAD ($1.25). The dress I actually can't wear here, but couldn't pass up. It is missing a strap to go around the neck, but it was still worth the 15 MAD ($2). It's cream and will go just above my knees, with a halter-style top. One skirt is a linen/cotton blend (50/50) and the other doesn't say but looks and feels like it could also be, but probably more cotton. Each 15MAD as well. For a grand total of 55MAD, or just under $7. I don't think I could have gotten 2 of them for that at an American goodwill. Goodwill is actually getting kinda pricey lately.

More to say, but I should be getting ready for class!

4 comments:

  1. So happy to hear from you!
    Yay for sunscreen! Super yay for a beach to wear it at!!
    I am glad you have people to wander with. If it is anything like Turkey was,the shop keepers are persistent. My mom learned to take Kubra ( a Turkish friend) with us to get the best deals ;-} (and to avoid unwanted purchases!)
    Sounds like there may be more homecooked meals in your future, eh? More cooking anyway!
    I hadn't even thought of there being a used clothing market. I would imagine most of the items are Moroccan, correct? Or is that just too naive of me? Pictures? Tiney admires your l33t shopping skilz ;-}
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what is the recommended dress code in Morocco?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of the used stuff is *made* in Morocco, but for European clothing stores. So the skirt I'm wearing right now is from Mango, and the dress is from Zara. (both cool stores that I have shopped at in France.) I may take pictures eventually, they're just never as good with me in them. And I would say that 'recommended' for least harassment would be a long skirt, to the calves, and a long-sleeve shirt that buttons up almost to the collarbone. Though I wear skirts that cover my knees and shirts that have 1/2-length sleeves (occasionally short sleeves) and am ok with that. Some people wear jeggings, but they do get more attention unless they're under a tunic-length shirt or a jellaba (traditional clothing, lots of women here do wear them outside, either over pajamas or over jeans & a t-shirt.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sand to sit in is good ;) and I want pictures of the city by the sea!! It sounds so pretty, much prettier than St. George, where I'll be for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete