Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Less than a week...

I am hungry. Yesterday was the last day of classes, which means that no one in my building is making food for me. The food that I tell them to make, as the all-powerful menu planner girl. Ok, not all-powerful, I have to have the food buyer on board with me. But he often is. Was, I guess, since the semester's over. I have gotten so out of the habit of making food for myself that I'm kind of sitting around waiting for someone else to do it. Even though I know they won't. And I don't much feel like paying someone else to make it for me.

But being hungry doesn't help that I am starting to get nervous about leaving. First, I don't have much packed. I washed all my dirty clothes today, at least. And washed some dishes that I had thoroughly rinsed so that they wouldn't get gross, but not really taken the time to get completely clean. Disgusting to admit it, but true. I hadn't re-used them or anything, don't worry. My tea mugs get really washed regularly.

I am concerned that I might get hungry a lot. I know that they're two very different countries, cultures, etc, but I keep having ideas in my head of how hungry I was when I got to Tunisia. I know, I know, I arrived the first day of Ramadan and it's not going to be the same at all. I will be living with a family, so I won't even have to wait to find a store. And I know there will be food there. And I know I'm not terribly picky. But sometimes I just want what I want, and I keep feeling hungry til I get it. That's the kind of hungry that actually concerns me.

I am concerned that I might get sick, too. Again, I know, I have learned. Bottled water it is. Even though I kind of hate the bottled water industry. But having an upset stomach for 3 months straight in Tunisia is even worse than an industry that takes a free product, puts it into a not-very-eco-friendly package, some of which may encourage cancer, and ships it all over (heavy, takes lots of trucks, gas, etc.) and then charges too much for it. Not to mention the communities that sometimes end up with a LACK of water due to these companies. The hassoles. And seriously, why am I so stubborn even to the point of being sick due to a cause of stubbornness?? Guess I thought I would get over it. Lesson learned: Not gonna happen. Won't try again.

What if I end up not very quick with the language? That's the whole point of going! I know I am smart. I know I catch on to things quickly. I know that I am curious, which helps a lot with these things. But what if, with all that, I manage to fail miserably all the same? THEN what am I going to do? Have to change my dissertation area, I guess. I don't have a specific topic yet, so I know it could be worse, but I like the idea of looking at contact between French and Arabic. It's interesting.

Ok, I guess I'll go get my clothes from the dryer now. And make food.

3 comments:

  1. I don't care what you drink, as long as you send presents :) Are there any big favors I can do for you this summer so you feel compelled to send me a fabulous box at the end of all this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally commiserate on the getting hungry alot thing and I am in the US and could survive missing quite a few meals.

    I think it's super cool that you go to different countries! I am thinking about going somewhere for a short practicum site my 3rd year. You'll have to teach me stuff about not looking like a stupid tourist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If, by some Cosmic disaster, Arabic doesn't come easily to you, you will have opportunity 1)to develop study habits,
    2)to discover that there IS life after failure,
    3)to experience life as the majority of humans live it ;-Þ
    4)to learn you are still an amazing person, even when the speeding bullet is faster than you are. (You may even learn to be kinder to yourself.)
    I believe you will do great. You are interested and eager and enthusiastic and people respond well to those attributes. Arabic seems to be challenging and you love a challenge. If it does prove hard to grasp I see you coming up with strategies until you find one that works. That is who you are. Unstoppable. Determined. Triumphant.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete